Work with Tech Launch Arizona to find your next startup company!
Tech Launch Arizona (TLA) is looking for seasoned entrepreneurs to help move new technologies to market through its Entrepreneurs-in-Residence (EIR) program.
The mission of the EIR program is to increase the quantity and quality of startups founded to bring University of Arizona inventions to the marketplace. This program provides university innovators with access to the right entrepreneurial experience and expertise to support efforts to commercialize and create impact from these inventions.
EIRs work with TLA as an independent contractor for six-month engagements. During this period, EIRs examine technologies with commercial promise, with the goal of launching a company based on the technology. They provide researchers with real-world insights into the commercialization process and strategic expertise in target markets, product development, and fundraising.
Knowledge and Expectations
- Strong communication, organizational, and project management skills
- Ability to motivate, mentor, and lead diverse teams
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with management, peers, academics, and other professionals, including external agencies, with varied interests and perspectives
- Support the TLA mission and work closely with university researchers and staff
- Meet with TLA License Managers to identify top priorities for commercial assessment
- Evaluate invention’s marketability/commercialization potential and provide recommendations to advance the technology
- Select technology for a new startup company
- Finalize overall business strategy, business plan and fundraising objectives
- Form and/or help recruit a management team and connect with professional resources
- Form the startup company and license UArizona technology
- The EIR works on an independent contractor basis
- The EIR will be provided access to workspace at TLA, UArizona libraries and market research databases, and support from interns and TLA staff
- The EIR will bear the cost of out-of-pocket expenses such as meals, parking, mileage, etc
- The EIR agrees to separately execute the EIR Confidentiality Agreement
- Bachelor's Degree or equivalent advanced learning attained through professional-level experience required
- 5 or more years of entrepreneurial leadership experience in a technology-based startup company and current industry expertise
- Federal regulations require that the incumbent be a U.S. citizen or legal permanent resident to be ITAR/EAR compliant
- 15 or more years of entrepreneurial experience creating companies, developing early technologies and building business teams
- Executive-level startup experience with a successful exit
- Experience raising capital (angel, venture, grants) for startup ventures
If you are looking for your next start-up opportunity, please submit a resume, professional reference, and letter of interest to Bruce Burgess, Director of Venture Development (firstname.lastname@example.org).